Wednesday 25 April 2012

Sausage Rolls



It was raining all day in Vancouver. As usual, I didn't want to go out and had nothing much to do at home than to bake! Found some ground beef and puff pastry that's been sitting in the freezer with no particular use and decided to make these sausage rolls.

These sausage rolls are really versatile! I've made them for dinner, finger food for guests and even for afternoon tea. These rolls can be made in advance, kept in the freezer and when needed, cut, and place them right in the oven.

Sausage Rolls (makes approximately 3 rolls)
300g Ground beef
100g Water
80g Egg
80g Bread crumbs
Dash of Worcestershire sauce

1/2 tsp Paprika
1/2 tsp Cumin
1/2 tsp Black pepper
1/2 garlic powder
5g Salt

1. Take puff pastry from the freezer to thaw
2. Mix all of the above ingredients together in a mixer until thoroughly mixed.
3. Place the mix into a piping bag with no piping tip. Ensure the end has a large hole (approximately 1in diameter)
4. Unroll the puff pastry and cut in half. The one I've used is 10in x 10in


5. Pipe meat onto the centre of each half
6. Egg wash one side
7. Starting from the Non egg washed side, wrap the puff pastry around the meat. Ensure dough overlaps by 1/2" to properly close the filling
8. Place in freezer
9. When needed, remove from freezer, cut into desired width (I cut them into 1in thickness). If it's too hard to cut, let thaw at room temp till it's soft enough to cut, approximately 30 minutes.
10. Egg wash ONE side
11. Bake at 350F for approximately 40 minutes

Although this recipe makes 3 rolls, I typically only make 2 rolls and leave the rest of the meat for mini patties for mini burgers! I don't particularly like to thaw out an extra sheet of puff pastry and only using half and 2 rolls is perfectly enough for my husband and I.

This is how the puff pastry I bought looks like:

2 comments:

  1. Sausage roll in one hand, a pint of beer on the other and some football on the telly! That's one of my favourite things to do on a day off. I love how British this is even in Vancouver.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly what I did! My husband had his beer and I had my tea, sat down and watched a good game :)

      Delete